Errors trying to build decentology project

Hi, I decided to give Decentology a try as it sounded like a pretty cool option for web3 development. All goes fine until I try to run “yarn”, I get this error:

error /Projects/decentology-demo/delicate-umerrus-W7Tm/node_modules/@decentology/dappstarter-dapplib: Command failed.

Exit code: 1

seems the problem is:

Error: PollingBlockTracker - encountered an error while attempting to update latest block:
Error: ESOCKETTIMEDOUT
    at ClientRequest.<anonymous> (/Users/sarahamann/Projects/decentology-demo/delicate-umerrus-W7Tm/node_modules/request/request.js:816:19)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:299:28)
    at ClientRequest.emit (events.js:210:5)
    at TLSSocket.emitRequestTimeout (_http_client.js:690:9)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:299:28)
    at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:210:5)
    at TLSSocket.Socket._onTimeout (net.js:469:8)
    at listOnTimeout (internal/timers.js:531:17)
    at processTimers (internal/timers.js:475:7)
    at PollingBlockTracker._performSync (/Users/sarahamann/Projects/decentology-demo/delicate-umerrus-W7Tm/node_modules/eth-block-tracker/src/polling.js:51:24)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
Emitted 'error' event on Web3ProviderEngine instance at:
    at safeApply (/Projects/decentology-demo/delicate-umerrus-W7Tm/node_modules/safe-event-emitter/index.js:70:5)

What might be causing this and what do I need to do to resolve? thanks a lot.

The two usual suspects are the version of node being used and problems with the faucet being down and not returning tokens. Version 16 is the LTS we test most against. But we will me moving to 18 with Hyperverse

If it can’t connect to the blockchain instance it won’t be able to submit transactions. From the error message listed I can’t see exactly which socket it’s trying to connect to that’s throwing the exception.

Could be related but it looks like the faucet api is down right now since it’s throwing a 404. Will look into a remedy for this

2 Likes